Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Poor Leah

Leah had her two month well-check yesterday, along with 5 shots. I have never heard a baby cry louder or higher than she cried. I had never heard her do that before, so I was pretty amazed. Call me sick, but it made me laugh. She calmed down after a few minutes, then when the Tylenol wore off last night she did it again. I was sure everyone in the entire apartment complex could hear her, but I asked our neighbor if she heard it and she said she didn't. It was pretty sad, but she is doing much better today.
We also found out that she is already a victim of some poor genes, as she will have to have an umbilical hernia repaired. The rule of thumb is if you can get the tip of your finger in it, it's too big. They will do that surgery any time after they are 4 months old, but we will probably wait until next year. Here is a nice picture of it for those of you who enjoy that sort of thing. When she is crying or straining it really pokes out.

3 comments:

heather said...

I can totally see you laughing...I actually did the same thing with Marissa. It's just too funny.
Wow, I had no idea that you can have an umbilical hernia. CAn you explain more to me about this...if you don't mind. I'm really curious.

Holly Emerson said...

Of course! A hernia is just a hole in the stomach muscles that the intestines can poke through. Umbilical hernias happen when the muscle doesn't close before birth. It isn't really a big deal, except that it can be painful later in life (not to mention ugly), so it's good to have them fixed.

Unknown said...

did you pinch her for this picture so she would cry and it would stick out? It doesn't look very bad, really.