Monday, April 20, 2009

"The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler"

I don't think I have ever gotten political on my blog before, but this post was inevitable, as I am a person with some very strong opinions.

I don't know how many of you were able to watch the Hallmark movie last night about Irena Sendler, who saved 2,500 children from the Warsaw Ghetto during World War II. What a remarkable human being! I don't know if the movie really did her story justice, but it was pretty good. It reminded me of an e-mail that I recieved a while ago about the same woman. The e-mail told of the heroic things that Irena did in order to rescue these children, then at the end it said she was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007. Then came the part that absolutely bowled me over: she lost--to AL GORE! I can't even fathom what the committee who chose him was thinking when they made that decision. I know that in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter because it's just an award, but it makes me very sad that sensationalism overshadowed complete selflessness.

Anyway, you can find out more about Irena Sendler here.

2 comments:

heather said...

I didn't watch the movie, but now I wish I had. She looks like an amazing person.

Elena Harrison said...

I watched the movie and was so impressed with Irena!! I did not know she lost the Prize to Al Gore, that upsets me too.