Friday, July 22, 2011

Girls' "Camp"

I was called to be the second counselor in the Young Womens organization of our ward a few months ago, and was very excited to hear that camp would be held this year at the Marriot Mountainside resort in Park City. They were trying to entice more girls to come, and even though we only had 7 there, we still consider it a success. Matt came with me as one of the Priesthood leaders and we left the girls with a friend in our ward. We stayed for three days and two nights here:Our first activity was to head up the mountainside on the ski lift. It was a really neat ride!The purpose of going up the mountain is to get to ride the Alpine Slide, which is in this picture.Here are some of the girls ready to go. There are levers to control your speed, and I took it kind of slowly since I was afraid of getting thrown off the track. The best part was watching the hundreds of ground squirrels and gophers popping up all along the track. I guess they live under it! One of them ran right toward the track as I was going pretty fast and I was sure I was going to hit it when it ducked right under the track .The next ride was my favorite. This is the Alpine Coaster. It's exactly what it sounds like--a roller coaster that goes down the mountain.Here are the girls, all ready to go! Each person sits in his or her own car and they track pulls you up the mountain. Once again, you control your own speed with the levers on the side.Since I was securely strapped into this ride, I went really fast. I have to say, it was by far the most picturesque roller coaster I have ever been on. It was so much fun!The next morning we went on a short hike up April Mountain. This was the view of Park City from the top. I have a video of the panorama, but once again, none of my videos will upload to blogger.Here are the girls at the top of the mountian. Apparently it is a water tower disguised in a mountain. Pretty neat!
Since this was "Princess" camp, all of the girls wore formal gowns and were presented at a short ceremony in the lobby. Most of their parents were able to come up to see them and have a formal dinner with them. Four of these girls made their own dresses! I guess I didn't take a picture of the pool where we spent most of our free time, but it was beautiful. There were 6 hottubs, all connected by little waterfalls. The suite that Matt and I stayed in had the biggest bathtub I have ever seen. It was very fancy, and very fun!

1 comment:

Ryan and Brandy said...

i wish we had a girls camp like that when we were going. sounds like my kind of roughing it!