Saturday, December 10, 2011

Being Home

Christopher has been home since the day before Thanksgiving.  I went to the hospital to get him and spent all day there learning how to feed him and give him his meds and everything.   As soon as we got home we had the oxygen delivered, the feeding equipment delivered, and a nurse came and taught me how to use the pump for the feeding tube.  It was a pretty overwhelming day!  He came home on 6 different medications, so for the first few days I was very busy.  I had to refill his food bag every four hours, pump every 3 hours, give him aspirin once a day, lasix and zantac twice a day, propranolol 3 times a day, and I weaned him off of his methadone and ativan over the next four days.  Plus I had to change his diaper and console him whenever he cried.  We aren't supposed to let him cry very much because it wastes calories that he needs very much.  Babies after this surgery burn 150 times more calories than "regular" babies, so in order for him to grow he needs to burn as few as possible with things like crying and shivering.  I also have to mix Progestimil with my breast milk to add more calories that way.

   
He is currently being fed through an NJ tube, which goes right into his intestines.  They start this way in order to slowly introduce food and to make sure they don't aspirate anything because the swallow reflex is still weak.  Christopher's cry was so weak when he left the hospital that they didn't even bother with a swallow study because they are pretty confident that he would have failed.  Apparently the nerve that makes the vocal cords work is the same nerve we use to swallow, and that nerve very commonly becomes inflammed after aortic arch repair.  His cry has slowly gotten stronger (although it's still pretty weak), and he is scheduled for a swallow study on the 12th of December.  A speech therapist has been working with him and she thinks he is doing really well and will be able to pass.  She put a few drops of breast milk on his binkie to get him to salivate and practice swallowing, and you should have seen his smile!  Anyway, if all goes well on Monday the tube will be pulled back to his stomach so that we can start introducing food slowly that way, then eventually it will be removed and he will be able to bottle feed.  I really wish I could just breast feed him, but he needs the added calories of the formula, so I will continue to pump.
The girls have been begging to hold him, so after having them wash their hands really well, we let them hold him for a minute.  They were in heaven.  They just adore their little brother.

 
He had his first follow-up appointment on Wednesday of this week and everything looked great.  They took him off the oxygen (yay for fewer tubes!).  They also had me go down to once a day on the lasix, and I gave him his last propranolol this morning.  The first night off the oxygen his sats got a little low, so I put it back on him, but since then he has been right where he should be on room air.
  Here his is after his sponge bath today in his Christmas outfit that a friend gave us.  Pretty handsome!  (Lori--I squeeze him now.  It doesn't hurt him, I promise.) 


8 comments:

mindy said...

Oh, I need to squeeze him too! What a cutie.
Side note on the high calorie diet: Take care of his mouth and teeth! My 4 year old nephew (who was born with a heart defect) just had 11 root canals and caps, and 8 porcelain crowns because of the high cal stuff they had him on for his first 2 years. His 8 front teeth are white and the rest are silver. They had to take him to primary childrens and do it all under general anesthesia with antibiotics because of the risk of infective endocarditis. It was very traumatic. Make sure you wipe out his mouth and get him on fluoride, unless you have fluoridated city water. Just something most people wouldn't think about. Poor Hadley's doctor obviously didn't.

Laurel said...

Holly, he is adorable! I'm so happy he's improving and that you have him home now. Reading about everything you're doing to take care of him right now, I thought you must be grateful for all your health care expertise. I hope all goes well on Monday with his swallow study and that he can continue to progress!

Unknown said...

Hey, I got to hold him, but I didn't squeeze. He's so little I would have broken him I'm sure. He is super cute, though, and has super long fingers. Maybe Holly will have a tall one after all?

bryceandjamie said...

What a sweetie! I'm glad he's doing better!

Lori Diaz said...

I'm sooooo jealous Jeny...not fair! Those little cheeks make me just want to blow raspberries all over him!

Lori Diaz said...

Okay, it's time! More pictures please. I need to see his pudgy little face getting pudgier (I'm not sure that's a word but oh well)!!!

The Watson's said...

I love reading stories about such strong little boys. Our son is also an HLHS baby whom we love very much! I wish you the best and you have such a handsome little man. Our blog is ourheartbaby.blogspot.com.
Best wishes!
-Brittany Watson

Unknown said...

Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd,HPV,Cancer, Hepatitis,Shingles, Diabetes,Epilepsy,Infertility, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement, the same few doctors and they represent a very small fraction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/My