Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Busy Weekend!

I haven't ever done two posts in one day, but I have had quite the weekend that I would like to share. It all started last Thursday night when Matt's tooth pain went from a dull ache to being so bad he couldn't sleep. We called the dentist on Friday, but it was his daughter's birthday, so he called in a prescription and told us to come in on Monday. We got in my 8:30 on Monday and Matt got a root canal, but the dentist was unable to finish it because it was too deep or something. He referred us to an endodontist (did I mention that our dental insurance is a joke?) and we got an appointment for December 10th. Merry Christmas to us! Because of this, my mother-in-law was generous enough to take Shannon for a few days so that I could get Matt to the dentist and go to the doctor for my check-up (yes, I'm still pregnant). She came and got Shannon Monday morning. Well, on Monday night around 11:00 we got a phone call. I didn't get alarmed until Matt shot up and said, "WHAT?!" Then my heart stopped. We raced down to American Fork because my in-laws' house was on fire! We got there and everyone was standing outside freezing and watching the fire trucks and rescue vehicles. We quickly found out that everyone got out safely, thanks to a neighbor who saw the fire and went and banged on the front door to wake them up. Shannon was scared to death at a neighbor's house, and she was very happy to see us. Somehow the fire started in a garbage can along the side of the house, spread up the side of the garage, and went into the attic all the way up the direction of the vault. Most of the damage is from smoke and water, but it will be months before everything is repaired. The kitchen, dining room, mud room, and one bathroom will all need new floors and they will have to get a new roof, of course. In the mean time, their insurance company is renting them a furnished house and taking good care of them. We held Shannon very closely that night. It is really amazing that nobody was injured and nothing of real value was destroyed. I am grateful for a caring Heavenly Father who really watches out for us.

5 comments:

Teresa said...

Wow thats alot of "fun" stuff all at once! So sorry. How is Matt feeling?

heather said...

That is crazy! I'm glad that Shannon is okay. Also, poor Matt. I can't even imagine a root canal! Hope he feels better.
Also, glad to know that you are still pregnant and doing good. I miss ya tons Holly.
I was making popcorn yesterday for game and remembered how you always would sprinkle cheese on it. mmm...made me miss you.

heather said...

*making it for Gabe not game...i'm a dork that can't type or spell.

Krystal said...

I am so glad you guys are all ok. Try to take it easy this week though! No more root canals or fires for you guys! Keep safe!

bryceandjamie said...

Holly, that is crazy! I'm glad that you are all okay. :)