Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Yet More Before and Afters

This is the project I have been dreading since we moved in. This toilet was put on a tile that was cut very poorly, leaving a gap that looked gross and had wax and other stuff coming out of it. The wax ring on this toilet was also shot, so I knew we would have to take up the toilet and do some tile repair. Of course it ended up being a bigger problem than I had thought it would be. When I lifted up the broken tile the backerboard came with it, revealing lots of mold. Obviously this wax ring needed to be replaced a while ago! I had to lift up all of the tiles up to the wall and the baseboard to get all of the mold out that I could see. Then I cleaned the floor down to the linoleum underneath and put down some new backerboard and tile.I took an extra tile to Lowe's with all of my measurements drawn on it and they cut it for me. It was a perfect fit! I cemented the tile, waited a day, grouted, waited a day, then put on a few new wax rings (since the flange is now even with the floor) and Matt put the toilet back on.It isn't perfect, of course, because even with the new backerboard the floor was still pretty uneven, but it's as good as I could get it, and I am very pleased with it. No more gross toilet!

7 comments:

Ryan and Brandy said...

It looks great!

Unknown said...

Yay! Another item off the to do list! And it looks really good! Yay Matt for hefting the heaviest toilet ever made!!!

Amy said...

When we buy a new house will you come help me get it fixed up? It looks awesome!

Grandma said...

lookin good. Hope you got all the mold out. I'll bet that is a good feeling to have that done. Looks great.

Shauna said...

That's pretty impressive Holly!

mindy said...

Yay! You got it done. I hate waiting a day in between. You're very patient. Looks great!

bryceandjamie said...

I am so impressed. Your house looks great! And way to go figuring out how to do it all yourself!